A bicyclist or pedestrian has little to no defenses if a motor vehicle strikes them. The consequences of such an accident can be devastating. When lives are on the line in pedestrian accidents, knowing the causes may save a life.
The causes of these accidents
Among all the causes that lead to an accident involving a pedestrian, there are several that are more frequent than the rest:
- Reckless driving: speeding and distracted driving both reduce the safety of the driver and their surroundings. With distractions like phones, GPSs, passengers, food and makeup, many things can take a driver’s eyes off the road long enough to strike someone crossing the street.
- Drunk driving: it is no secret how dangerous even driving buzzed can be. A drunk driver may not even know that they hit someone, depending on their intoxication levels.
- Blind spots: each vehicle comes with its blind spots. While these may not be an issue for seeing other vehicles, a person can vanish entirely in them.
- Bad weather: snow, sleet, and hail can cause people to disappear from a driver’s eyes. When a driver does not take the proper precautions in this kind of weather, someone walking home may never make it.
- Negligence: a driver may take certain actions for granted. Things, like pulling out of a parking spot or taking a left turn, may come with a surprise hitting someone with their car. The driver always needs to be aware of their surroundings, even in their driveway.
These are only a few examples of why a driver may accidentally strike someone walking on the street near them.
These causes can be avoided
When a driver maintains their full attention on the road and their surroundings while practicing safe driving habits, they are much more likely to save a life. There are many causes for pedestrian accidents and they can all be avoided.