Tips for dealing with property damage after a car accident

by | May 5, 2017 | Car Accidents

If you just got into a car accident, you may be frustrated and wondering how you are going to settle a property damage claim or personal injury lawsuit against the other driver. Paying for repairs on your own is a daunting thought. You understandably want to get compensated, move on and put the collision behind you.

Getting the best settlement largely depends on the documentation you collect after the car crash. Here are some guidelines for getting the most out of your car accident claim.

Gather important information

You generally will be talking directly with the insurance company of the other driver instead of dealing with the driver directly. Because of this, you will want to have a robust set of facts regarding the accident, including:

  • Name of the other driver
  • Insurance information of the driver
  • Witness names and contact information
  • Names of responding law enforcement
  • Pictures of all involved vehicles
  • Pictures of damage on all involved vehicles

Remember that the insurance company wants to pay out as little as possible, and it is not on your side. The insurance company might try to offer a reduced claim by arguing the accident was partially your fault or you did not provide sufficient evidence to support your claims of property damage.

Damages you can collect

If you are submitting a property damage claim, you might be able to collect damages for vehicle damage, damage of personal property, rental car expenses and other out-of-pocket expenses. Typically, the insurance company will only offer a settlement based on the details you provide. If you did not submit proof of out-of-pocket expenses, then it will assume you are not entitled to compensation for that type of loss.

If you are injured

Maybe your accident was more than just a fender bender, and you are realizing you are hurt. You might be able to get reimbursed for medical costs, lost wages and pain and suffering. Whether you are seeking compensation for property damage alone or also considering a lawsuit, talk to an attorney for advice.


FindLaw Network